Medicinal mushrooms have been known and used for thousands of years. But like so many other natural foods and medicinals, they fell out of mainstream attention in the last century. They are finally gaining attention again though.
These adaptogenic gems offer so many benefits for our bodies to maintain good health. Let’s explore them a bit.
What is their nutritional value?
Medicinal mushrooms are one of the most healing plants on earth. Although not particularly high in any one vitamin and mineral, they possess a wide array of life promoting nutrients and other beneficial compounds that have truly remarkable healing properties. Mushrooms can be extremely helpful in boosting the immune system!
Medicinal mushrooms are primarily consumed through supplementation and tea. A few like Lions Mane, and shiitake can be consumed in a variety of dishes.
No matter how you choose to take them, you will receive the nutritional benefits of these highly healthy fungi.
The Top 7 Medicinal Mushrooms:
* Lion’s Mane Mushroom
* Reishi Mushroom
* Cordyceps Mushroom
* Chaga Mushroom
* Turkey Tail Mushroom
* Shiitake Mushroom
* Maitake Mushroom
So, what are the nutritional properties of these medicinal mushrooms?
* Good source of B-vitamins
* Rich in potassium, niacin, calcium, magnesium, selenium, copper, and phosphorous
* Rich in antioxidants
* Excellent source of beta glucans, polysaccharides, and triterpenes
* 18% protein
* Extremely antibacterial, viral, and fungal
The true magic in these mushrooms comes from their antibacterial, viral, and fungal qualities as well as their beta glucan, polysaccharide, and triterpene content.
So what is the healing action of medicinal mushrooms?
Due to their immune modulating properties, medicinal mushrooms have the ability to heal a wide variety of conditions, from simple to extreme. Some of these benefits include:
* Balancing the immune system (strengthening a sluggish one, and calming an overactive one)
* Reducing or eliminating allergies
* Healing of tumors
* Lowering blood sugar
* Fighting cancer
* Reducing physical and mental stress
* Reducing inflammation
* Help healing arthritis
* Stimulating and protecting the liver
* Helping restore proper kidney function
* Strengthening the cardiovascular system
* Helping reverse skin disease
* Helping heal digestive disorders
As you can see, medicinal mushrooms support the key areas of the body, namely the immune system and the liver, which when healthy, will help support a strong attack on foreign invaders and properly detoxify the body.
Medicinal mushrooms are also exceptional adaptogens, which means they nicely support your adrenals. This is crucial to true health in today’s stress filled world.
* Lion’s Mane Mushrooms supports healthy brain function & neuron regeneration.
* Reishi Mushrooms benefit sleep and acts as potent immune modulator.
* Cordyceps Mushrooms Improve lung capacity and increase energy.
* Chaga Mushrooms boost digestion and clears/protects skin.
* Turkey Tail Mushrooms boost immune system function.
* Maitake Mushrooms help to regulate blood pressure and support immune function.
How do you use medicinal mushrooms in your diet?
Some medicinal mushrooms have a very bitter taste, and don’t do well in food applications. A few exceptions to this would be lion's mane, shiitake, and maitake, which can all be used as a delicious compliment to many dishes.
Most other medicinal mushrooms can be enjoyed through tea, but the majority of people consume them through capsules, superfood powders and elixirs. You can blend them into your smoothies, mix them with other superfoods to make potent medicinal hot beverages.
Once you tap into the healing benefits of medicinal mushrooms, you’ll never want to be without them again. Their unique ability to heal and empower the health of the body are simply unmatched.
If you would like suggestions on medicinal mushroom powders (to add to smoothies) or organic mushrooms teas, please comment below. If you are using mushrooms in your healing, please share your thoughts.
As someone who is a Cancer Survivor and has been struggling with neutropenia, I use medicinal mushrooms on a daily basis. They have been a game changer for me!
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
It’s important to know that if you are currently undergoing conventional treatments, such as chemotherapy, radiation, or immunotherapy, any supplements or herbs, must be cleared by your oncologist. Herbs and supplements, and their dosages should be always be recommended by a NATUROP a functional nutrition coach, or a traditional Chinese medical doctor. F